1. Place the turkey leg In a crockpot on high setting along with the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery, and 3 bay leaves and add the Zatarains-Creole Seasoning. Add water to crockpot until it covers the meat. Cook on high until the meat begins to fall from the bone.
2. Rinse the beans to remove all dirt particles and place to the side in a bowl
3. Add the beans to the crockpot after the meat is tender Add another round of the Zatarains-Creole Seasoning. Reduce the heat to low and go to sleep. Simmer overnight or for 8 hours.
4. Slice the smoke sausage and stir sausage into beans, and turn off the crockpot.
5. Prepare the rice. In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve beans over steamed brown rice.
6. *Finish the beans with your choice of hot sauce, fried chicken and candied yams!
Note: #6 states *Finish the beans with your choice of hot sauce, fried chicken and candied yams! For our fried chicken, we chose a healthier version. It is the Trisha Yearwood “Chicken Baked in Cornflake Crumbs” recipe. This chicken is crunchy, flavorful and AMAZING! If you are looking for a healthier option, this is the one to try.