It seems our bodies change daily as we age. A crack in the knee, an ache in the toe, a burning in the heel of the foot…the list goes on and on. It seems every day we become aware of a change in our bodies. Sometimes we overlook them but, as we age, it is imperative that we remain diligent to proactively keep our bodies healthy and get our yearly medical checkups.
The exams and screenings you need depends on your age, health and family history, and lifestyle choices (such as what you eat, how active you are, and whether you smoke). Some screenings, such as blood pressure readings can be done in your doctor’s office. Others such as colonoscopy, (a test for colorectal cancer), need special equipment, so you may need to go to a different office.
We believe you’re in the prime of your life — or you should be. Don’t let illness rob you of your health. The GFE staff compiled a CheckUp-Checklist of must-do medical checkups for Grown Folks (men and women 50 and over) to keep you proactive in maintaining good health.
Your annual checkup is also the time to discuss any emotional problems you are having. If you feel sad or lack energy, tell your doctor. Your emotional health is just as important as your physical health.
Target Numbers to Maintaining Good Health
• Waist circumference under 35 inches
• Blood pressure <120/80
• Fasting blood glucose <100
• EKG: baseline and CRP blood test if WC over 35 inches
• Blood lipids: LDL cholesterol <100, HDL > 50, TG (triglycerides) <150
• Sleep 7-8 hours at night
• Eat fruits, veggies, grains and healthy fats
• If you do not smoke
• Minimal level of stress in life
• Exercise/walk 30 minutes or more daily
Remember…. Early Detection Is The Key To Prevention! Stay Proactive and Live your Best Life!
2015 Free Prostate Cancer Screenings
Eligibility: – Men ages 40-75
– Men who have never been diagnosed with prostate cancer
– Men who haven’t had a prostate exam within the past year
– Men who are uninsured or have limited insurance coverage
To schedule an appointment, please call (404) 531-4444.
Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015
6 – 8 p.m.
1000 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
Registration Opens August 17, 2015
Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015
6 – 8 p.m.
Registration Opens Sep 14, 2015