Do you think 50 is old?
If you think of yourself as old then you will act old regardless of your age. Most people feel they are in the prime of their lives when they reach their 50’s. Those in their 60’s, 70’s 80s, 90s and beyond have the mindset that they are retired and they do what they want to do when they want to do it! There is a mind-body connection that allows your true authentic self to come forth in confidence.
Attitude has a lot to do with how you feel. By having an optimistic, positive outlook on life and staying engaged and active, you can improve your quality of life.
At this stage in life, you must factor in some form of exercise and activity to remain in optimal physical and mental health. We can all improve our selves through exercise. Walking, dancing or moving are all great! Even individuals experiencing limited mobility can experience activity from a chair or a bed with some adjustments and guidance from a professional. And believe it or not, simply sitting quiet, still and meditating will do wonders for your health.
10 additional tips for staying fit and active beyond age 50:
- Keep your brain engaged. Complete a crossword puzzle or read the paper daily. Try to read a book once every other month or so.
- Follow your passion. It will lead you to excitement and you will meet and connect with amazing people on the same journey.
- Do something for others and volunteer. You will find that while you are helping someone else, it is really changing your life.
- Do the things in life that matter the most to you. Stop putting off your dreams waiting for the perfect moment. The perfect moment may not ever happen.
- Drinks 8 glasses of water, eat healthy, and enjoy an occasional indulgence of your choice.
- Take on a new hobby. Dancing, playing tennis or playing cards (spades or bid whist) etc. stimulate the body and mind.
- Pick up a weight (2, 3, 5, 10 pounds). You don’t have to overdo it. A few pumps will make a huge difference. (STOP: consult your physician first!!)
- Take an after-dinner stroll. You will find it to improve your sleep.
- Get the proper amount of sleep. It is essential to your well-being.
- See your doctor regularly. Be proactive about your health! No one knows your body better than you.